Cur failt erriu gys Barrantee Skylley Maayl
Latest News: Mr Peter Hayes elected Chairman,
Mr John Barron elected Vice-Chairman
Some Information about Michael
Welcome to Michael Commissioners in the Isle of Man. Here you can find information about who we are and what we do, read minutes from our public board meetings and tell us your views
Use the links at the top or side of the page to navigate the site.
Kirk Michael is the most north-westerly of the villages on the Isle of Man with sand cliffs to the sea, farmland and mountains to the inland and some of the most gorgeous glens on the whole Island. The Parish neighbours Ballaugh, German and Braddan.
Michael District Details
Parish Church: Kirk Michael
Main Peaks and Height
Slieau Freoghane 488m
Slieau Curn 351m
Slieau Dhoo 424m
Main Glens - Glen Mooar, Glen Wyllin, Glen Trunk, Bishopscourt Glen.
Michael is a parish in the Isle of Man and has, according to the 2001 census, 1431 residents. However, for Manx local government purposes it is classed as a District as its population is larger than other parishes. It is a mainly agricultural district on the west coast of the island.
The parish of Michael lies within the sheading of Michael, which is also a House of Keys constituency. Its MHK has been David Cannan since 1982. He has recently retired, and in the recent General Election, replaced by his son Mr Alf Cannan
Michael stretches from the Irish Sea, to the west, inland to Druidale, to the east and from Orrisdale, in the north, to Ballaquine/Kerroglass in the south. The main road between the towns of Peel and Ramsey, to the north and east, joins the Isle of Man TT course coming from St. John's in Kirk Michael village.
The district contains a few settlements, the main village is Kirk Michael. There are a number of prominent hills and glens within the district boundaries. The principal glens are Glen Mooar, Glen Wyllin and Glen Trunk and the highest points are, Slieau Freoghane - 488m, Sartfell - 454m, Slieau Curn - 351m and Slieau Dhoo - 424m. Another notable hill in the parish is 'Cronk Urleigh' which until 1428 was the site of the Tynwald Courts.
The parish church of St Michael in Kirk Michael village contains a large collection of Manx Norse crosses.
Bishop's Court, the former home of the Bishop of Sodor and Man but now a private residence, is located to the north of Kirk Michael village. The grounds and chapel of Bishop's Court are opened periodically to the public. Bishop's Court Glen, across the TT course, was once the private garden of the Bishop. The glen includes an artificial mound called Mount Aeolus, which resembles Tynwald Hill. Until 1987 the mound had 2 cannons on top. The mound was built under Bishop Hildesley to commemorate the victory of Captain Elliot over the French privateer, Francois Thurot off the coast of Ramsey in 1760.
Michael Commissioners take no responsibility for the facts presented above.
Please feel free to email or fill in the comments page with any updates to these facts